7 Steps to Selling Dog Treats
Homemade Dog Treats are the best way to show your pet that you love them like family!
If you are interested in not only making dog treats but selling them in your community, you’re in the right place.
There are a number of great Homemade biscuit recipes that your fur baby would request every week if they could.
While making dog treats may be easy, the rules and regulations surrounding their production can be a bit more complex.
Don’t let that drive you away. Everybody’s Pooches needs snacks and treats.
One common question asked by Cottage Food Operators is can I make dog treats is at home.
Many bakers who have dogs want to still operate a home-based bakery. Unfortunately, operating one for humans is not possible.
The alternative is starting a “Bakery for Fido.”
Here are the steps to making pet treats.
- Registering your products
- Complete the registration form
- Draft a label for each product
- Pay appropriate fees
- Obtain a guaranteed analysis
- Submit your product to a commercial lab for testing
- Receive certifications for each product
Each state has its own rules and regulations for making dog treats so this list is subject to change depending on the state where you reside.
The Association of American Feed Control Officials, (AAFCO) will help you meet your individual state requirements.
Here’s how you get started:
- Purchase a copy of the AAFCO Official Publication, ordered directly from the AAFCO website.
- Read through the section on this website:
Starting a Pet Food or Pet Treat Business
- Find out about ingredients to use in your products. https://petfood.aafco.org/
Read the section on Labeling.
- Move on to the section on Registration and Licensing requirements for your state.
- Get started now. You can comply with the regulations AND earn some money!
[Please remember that laws and regulations change, and you are responsible to know and comply with all laws and regulations.]
HOW TO SELL DOG TREATS
- Sell decorated treats (This is more for the owner than the dog)
- Offers seasonal appeal (Dog treats for every holiday)
- Package and sell treats as branded, private label items (Manufacturing treats for Veterinarians)
- Selling treats by the pound is an easy way to make money on treats with limited investment.
- Companies can easily purchase bulk treats and mark them up to sell by the pound online.
THE BENEFITS OF SELLING BULK TREATS
- Limited packaging costs
- Gives customers the option to buy in different amounts
- Allows customers the ability to easily switch products (Selecting various flavors)
Selling decorated treats are the perfect way to make your business unique and offer something no one else has. Consumers will often pay more for decorated treats and it offers you the opportunity to sell seasonal treats.
FIND A NICHE
Consider manufacturing products for special breeds. Let’s look at the Teacup dogs. The tiniest breed of dog, Teacups measure 17 inches or smaller and weigh four pounds or less when fully grown. Think about how you might create a tiny treat for a Teacup.
SPECIAL DIETS & Special Breeds
Another niche might include making treats for pups with special Gastrointestinal and Digestive Disorders disorders. You may need to enlist the help of a veterinarian. Do a bit of research to see if there are dog owners looking for pet treats that meet the health heed of their pouch.
Why should you make amazing dog treats?
According to Nielsen analysts calculated that “pet food and treats in 2018 in the United States reached nearly $33 billion U.S. dollars across various retail channels, including local pet stores, big-box superstores, vet clinics, e-commerce, and others.” It is time to do a bit more research and create a pet treat business plan?
Are you ready to get started?