BONUS INTERVIEW: Cottage Kitchen Start up with Denay Davis – Shaba Shams
The interview with Detra Denay Davis, Founder of Kitchen2Market.club, formerly The Foodpreneur Institute occurred on November 4, 2021.
Kitchen2Market is an educational platform for food entrepreneurs who produce food products from their home kitchens. The platform supports the cottage food industry and those who are hobbyists seeking to start a small food business.
I have been an advocate of cottage foods since 2007.
I started teaching food entrepreneurship in NC in 2008 for Wake County Lifelong Learning-Adult Education and the Central Piedmont Community College in Charlotte NC
CFOs are said to be a gateway business for those who want to try their hand at selling specialty food products and that what is was for me. I was the owner of the Charlotte Pie Authority a seasonal Home-based Pie Shop selling pies to the Charlotte NC community.
As the founder of Kitchen2Market, I wanted a place where CFOs could learn about the business of food. Ask questions and learn about the many marketing mixes that will assist them in taking their products to market. New Jersey was the last cottage food law to pass in the U.S. published on October 4, 2021. I once said I would retire when all 50 states had cottage food laws.
There are 5 Best Practices all Cottage Food Operators should know.
1. While baked goods are the most popular cottage foods, shelf-stable cottage foods can be the most profitable depending on their popularity. Jam/Preserves/jellies partner or make.
2. To avoid feelings of disappointment, ask yourself, “How often will consumers purchase your products.” If you have a product that is not purchased or needed often, you may not meet your earning goal.
3. Understand that your kitchen is your gateway. To make more money you will need more production space, so consider eventually moving into a production facility. (It does not have to be open to the public)
4. The idea that if you make it consumers will come, is a myth, even if you are in a community that supports you, remember, ask yourself how often will my community purchase my product? Is the product viable and sustainable? Be honest with yourself. (What buying cycle is your food product in? Is it seasonal? Are there downtimes?)
5. Building an email list is essential to the success of your business. New customers feed your ego and returning customers feed your wallet. Practice ABM… always be marketing. Always, you cannot let up and think you can post on social media or engage with customers too much. The attention span of your customer is shot, you must work to keep eyeballs on your brand.
About Shaba Shams
Shaba Speaks is a weekly live show and podcast that discusses Health – Wealth – Relationships in an attempt to Inspire – Empower – Connect. This is an unbiased and unfiltered platform that creates free and authentic discussions to learn, earn and lead.
Shaba Shams is the CEO of Shaba Enterprises, a Career and Business Consulting Agency, and the co-chair of the PR division for the Juneteeth Committee in Daytona Beach, FL. Mrs. Shaba is the podcaster of “Shaba Speaks From the USA, an inspirational podcast dedicated to Health, Wealth, and Relationships.
Entrepreneur, CEO of Shaba Enterprises, Influencer, Podcaster of “Shaba Speaks From the USA, and Education For All Advocate
Shaba Shams is the CEO of Shaba Enterprises, a Career and Business Consulting Agency, and the co-chair of the PR division for the Juneteeth Committee in Daytona Beach, FL. Mrs. Shaba is the podcaster of “Shaba Speaks From the USA, an inspirational podcast dedicated to Health, Wealth, and Relationships. Enabling Exponential Growth through Social Media, Shaba Shams is leading an initiative to create a dialogue that promotes a presence online to influence, impact, educate, monetize, and create emotional, spiritual, intellectual, and financial stability and freedom. Mrs. Shams advocates education for all and aims to combat illiteracy. She is an economic empowerment activist and finds joy in assisting entrepreneurs in thriving during difficult times.